The second step in creating a project is creating translation memories through the Translation Memories tab.
To attach translation memories to a project, complete the following steps:
- Click the Translation Memories tab from the Projects New page. The following page is displayed where the target languages are displayed.
- Click the Arabic (Egypt) language selection as the target language. The attached TM for the language pair (source/target) page is displayed.
- Click the Add Translation Memory button at the top right side of the page. The following pop up window is displayed.
Notes:When you click this button, the system filters the translation memories found for the currently specified language pair.
Through this page you can add one or more translation memories.
- Select one or more translation memories from the displayed list.
- Click the Ok button. The selected translation memories are displayed at the top section of the translation memory page.
- In front of each TM there are some options that you can edit by checking them for activation:
- Enabled: The TM can be enabled or disabled through clicking this check box.
- Client: When the client check box is checked it gives the TM more priority than the other TMs. More than one TM can be marked as client and may be no one is checked.
Note:In some settings you cannot make overriding for the segments derived from the client TM.
- Lookup: When you select a segment that needs to be translated in the editor, an automatic search is done on the TM and the result is displayed with the matching percentage.
- Concordance: When you select a word or more and press F3 from the keyboard, the system displays all the search results regardless of the context.
Note:You can perform concordance search using the Concordance button in the TM menu buttons or using F3 button from the keyboard.
- Update: When translating a segment, the new translation is reflected as an update in the translation memory.
- Penalty: If the TM is attached just for reference, then you can set a penalty. If the sentence is 100% matching and the penalty is set to 10, then the 100% matching will be 90%. This deduction gives the opportunity for the revision to take place from the translator side.
- The last option
Notes:This priority is reflected in the TM usage inside the editor, as the TM that has the priority here is prioritized accordingly in the search results that are displayed to the translator.
You can detach the TM by clicking the X icon in front of the TM that you need to remove.
This section gives some options to the lookup search where the system performs in the translation memories and gives results of similar sentences starting from a minimum percentage that you can specify in the Minimum Match Value field.
The Maximum Number of Hits field specifies the number of the most similar sentences within the specified percentage that is selected in the previous option.
This section gives some options to the concordance search where the system performs in the translation memories and gives results of similar words starting from a minimum percentage that you can specify in the Minimum Match Value field.
The Maximum Number of Hits field specifies the number of the most similar words within the specified percentage that is selected in the previous option.
Under this section there are some search mode options that affect your search actions in the TM as follows.
- Show best matches from all translation sources: To display the most matching results from the used TMs.
- Only show matches from first translation source that returns matches: This setting organizes the order of the search results between the used TMs to show the first results displayed only.
- Search for fuzzy match even if exact match is found: If this option is enabled when a sentence is matching 100%, the fuzzy match will be displayed too.
The penalties are used to decrease the segments matching in the translation memory, so that the effort of the translator is increased.
Some projects have a section for the terminology. Translation terminology may not match the terminology of the TM. The penalty here is set when the target is not matching with the terminology.
Sometimes formats are not reflected in the translation. The penalty is specified here to give an effort to add the missing formats.
The same as pervious but here the format is totally different and the effort is given for the reformatting.
When there are multiple translations, the translator is supposed to select the most suitable one from them. The penalty is specified here for the translator effort.
For example, if a segment has two 100% matching translations and the selection here is set to 0, the system will take the first one. For the translator to read both sentences and choose one of them, a certain penalty should be specified for the translator effort.
So, the system will display both sentences to the translator and gives him/her the chance to read them and choose the best one.
For the dates and telephone numbers, the system applies such translations automatically with no need to display them for the translator to make an effort to revise them. So, the penalty effort here is set to 0 by default.
There are five options for the overriding settings that explain the policy of updating a sentence in the translation memory.
The field Override Translation Unit has five options that you can select from as displayed below:
- Override existing translation: When the translator found 100% segment matching with the source and edits this segment, an overriding takes place in the translation that exists in the TM to be replaced with the new one.
- Override existing translation unit if it has same context:When the two sentences are 100% matching and also similar in context. This means If the context is not the same, add the new sentence and do not make an override.
- Override existing translation unit if attributes are identical:In the translation memory, each sentence has some default attributes or specifications, such as user name, date… etc., which are added automatically by the system. You can add other attributes too according the client’s requirements.
Here the overriding policy is a higher one. The overriding takes place only when the attributes are the same.
- Duplicate! Add a new translation unit:This option allows toduplicate all the translated segments in the TM; it does not make overriding.
- Skip, don’t add to translation memory:In this option no overriding is allowed and the TM is not going to be updated. Only new translations are added.
The above five overriding options are controlled by the following three controls in return.
- Allow to override imported translation units: Run the override options only if the translation unit status is imported, otherwise do not allow the overriding.
- Allow to override reviewed translation units: Run the override options only if the translation unit status is reviewed, otherwise do not allow the overriding.
- Allow to override translation units from same state: Run the override options when the segments in both the TM and the system are of the same state wither translation or revision, otherwise do not allow the overriding.
Note:Translation units of the state translation can override each other’s. The translation state cannot override the revision state while the revision state can override the translation one.
Then at the end when you finish selecting the required options, click the Save button.